Apostille and Authentication Procedures

United States Citizens
Obtaining an Apostille:
What is an apostille?
Certain documents intended for use abroad (such as birth certificates, marriage certificates,
criminal checks, adoption papers, etc.) require authentication to ensure they are legitimate in the
country in which they are to be used. The government provides this authentication in the form of an apostille. Citizens of countries that are party to the Hague Convention must submit documents, namely criminal background checks (CBCs) and diploma photocopies, with apostille authentication. Without an apostille affixed to these documents, a visa cannot be issued. 
Visit Travel.State.Gov for more information on the Apostille and Hague Treaty.
NB: As Canada is not a party to The Hague convention Canadians must provide authentication by having the documents notarized (by a public notary) and then certified (stamped) by the Korean consulate. See below for more details.
How do I get the Apostille for my diploma photocopy?
Check out the Secretary of State Offices page on the Aclipse website to learn about your state's apostille proceedures as it differs from state to state. The process usually entails having a state notary notarize the diploma photocopy (it may be necessary for you to sign the document in front of the notary in order for them to notarize it) and then submitting the notarized document to the Secretary of State to have the apostille affixed to your notarized photocopy.
The apostille application can be done by mail or in person. In our experience, applications by mail take 7-10 days, while applications in person are processed immediately or within a few hours. Therefore we advise making application for your apostille in person. The apostille must be affixed to the photocopy of your diploma; do not remove any stapes or fastenings or your apostille will be invalid.
How do I get the Apostille for my FBI CBC?
As the FBI issued CBC is a federal document it needs to be apostilled at the federal level. There are two ways to do this. You can mail the CBC yourself to the US Department of State to apply for the apostille. This costs $8 per document, but could take as long as six weeks to process and has in the past resulted in start date delays. More information can be found here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/internl-judicial-asst/authentications-and-apostilles/office-of-authentications.html. If you decide to do this, we highly recommend checking with the State Department for their current processing time.
In order to expedite the process, Aclipse has partnered with a company called Washington Express
to expedite this process. For more information view: http://www.washingtonexpress.com/
If you do this, we recommend that you have the FBI mail the completed report directly to our Aclipse office in California. We will confirm receipt and then ask you to make payment for the apostille service on our website: http://www.aclipse.net/documents/fbi-apostille-services. Once payment is made we’ll mail your report to Washington Express who then visits the US Department of State in person to obtain the apostille.
Canadian Citizens
Obtaining Authentication: Please also call to confirm with consulate
How do I get my diploma photocopy certified? Make a photocopy of your degree and take the copy and your original degree to a notary public to have the copy notarized. Then visit the Korean consulate with your original degree, the notarized copy of your degree, a set of sealed transcripts, your passport and fee. The consulate will affix their certification seal to the notarized copy.  
How do I get my criminal record check certified?
Take your original CBC to the Korean consulate along with your passport and fee. The consulate will affix their certification seal to the original check(s).  

TORONTO (ON (except Ottawa), MB residents)
555 Avenue Rd
Toronto, ON, M4V-2J7
(416) 920-3809
VANCOUVER (BC, AB, SK, YK, NWT, NT residents)
Suite 1600-1090 West Georgia St
Vancouver, BC, V6E 3V7
(604) 681-9581
MONTREAL (QC, NB, PEI, NS, NL residents)
1250 Rene-Levesque Blvd West, Suite 3600
Montreal, QC, H3B 4W8
(514) 845-2555
OTTAWA (Ottawa, Gatineau and driving distance to Ottawa)
150 Boteler Street,
Ottawa, ON, K1N 5A6
(613) 244-5010

Other E2 Citizens:
Obtaining an apostille in your home country is very similar to the procedures in the US.
UK citizens visit: https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

Australian citizens visit: http://www.apostille.com.au/

South African citizens visit: http://www.dirco.gov.za/consular/legalisation.htm

Irish citizens visit: https://www.dfa.ie/travel/our-services/authenticating-documents/

New Zealand citizens visit: https://www.govt.nz/browse/nz-passports-and-citizenship/proving-and-protecting-your-identity/use-your-nz-documents-overseas/#how-you-apply